Search and You Shall Find

Custom Search

Add to G+ Circle

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weight Loss : How to Lose 10 Pounds in 3 Months (Follow at Your Own Risk)

I've been watching Pinoy Biggest Loser since day one of its airing. The reality show is about overweight contestants vying for the biggest weight loss percentage to be the first Pinoy Biggest Loser with equally big prizes, including a condominium unit and 1 Million Pesos! There were originally 14 contestants and now they're down to 10.

On today's episode, one of the trainers, Jim Saret said that they're only on their 7th week in the Biggest Losers Camp but I could actually see drastic and massive weight loss on some of the contestants and the most imminent is that of Larry Martin's who was the biggest loser on the first individual weigh in competition last Thursday, July 7. This was actually his second time to win the title Biggest Loser of the Week, the first one was during a collective team weigh in.
-->


Larry, 36,  is a former policeman from Camarines Sur who said he lost his job after he failed the 34" waistline limit set by the Philippine National Police leadership in 2000 headed by then PNP Chief, Director General Panfilo Lacson.

Each of the contestants have different stories and motivations but they share the same goal of winning the competition. The difference lies on discipline, self-control and willpower, not so much on physical strength. The contest, although physical in nature is actually a mind game that tests each contestant's character and attitude.

I especially liked the "first temptation episode" where the contestants were left alone in a booth with a serving of 1 kilo of lechon (roasted whole pig, rotisserie style) and a weighing scale for 5 minutes. Lechon is a Philippine delicacy mostly served on special occasions like fiestas (feasts), Binyag (Baptism) and Kasal (weddings). Aside from the very tempting platter of lechon with sarsa (sweet gravy sauce) the contestant who eats the heaviest portion will also enjoy immunity in the next elimination round. Ooh that made the Lechon Temptation even more tempting... however, only two gave in and they're both girls! It looked like it's once again The Temptation of Eve in the Garden of Eden haha. Hazel ate more than Win-win so she got the immunity. They both denied losing control of themselves over the food but more because of the immunity. But in my opinion, it was really the food that got them, the immunity was just the scape goat.
-->


Losing weight in my case, was also very difficult. That is why I'm so amazed that the contestants of the show lost so much in just a short time. I wonder how much the trainers, Jim and Chinggay charge as their professional fees? I'm convinced they're the best in their field so their expertise must cost a fortune! The contestants are so lucky to have the opportunity to work with these trainers for free and get a chance to bag home big prizes too!

As for me, I'm lucky too to get back my inspiration and really work on shedding away my extra pounds! I lost 10 lbs. in about 3 months. It's not a lot compared to the contestants' achievements in just 7 weeks but it's quite a feat for me!

My supposed ideal weight corresponding my height (Ooops! You might think I'm a midget, but I'm Asian so this is the normal height for ... pre-teens haha ) should be 95 lbs. to 115 lbs. This is according to the free weight calculators on the internet and not by any doctor.

Before at 95 Lbs.
After at 110 Lbs.
My weight when I started to think of losing some was 110 lbs. which was still so much within the "ideal" range for my height. What made me decide to lose a few pounds was actually not the reality show because I started working on it even before the show's first airing on TV, although it really inspired me. The desire however, was not triggered at all by inspiration but rather by disgust with the ugliest little dimples I've ever seen a.k.a. celluliti (just found out the plural form of cellulite, yes, they're many!) at the back of my thighs! I always thought dimples were cute but not anymore. It was actually a friend who pointed it out to me after I wore a short, tight skirt in one of those parties. It seems when your gaining weight, you're always the last one to notice.

At 100 Lbs.
So, below are the things I did to lose 10 lbs. in 3 months or so and I'm still working on 5 more to get back my 95 lbs. and 24" waistline (as if.... LOL!).

Now back to 95 lbs.


Warning: Follow these tips at your own risk; better if you consult first your physician, nutritionist and physical trainer :P

1.  Hit the Gym
For the first time, I went to a gym and didn't have an idea how to use any of the fitness equipments that all looked dangerously bone breaking to me. A loyal friend who came with me (because she was loyal ) was also a first timer so we were both wearing friendly smiles for somebody to show us how to hop on the treadmill and get it running haha. Then we tried the stationary bicycles which I managed to ride for 5 minutes (I coudn't believe she was able to stay on longer!). We stayed for a total of 20 minutes tops, including breaks. I came back 3 times more, of course with the same loyal friend and that's it!

2. Brisk Walking
I didn't have enough time for the gym so I thought I will just do some brisk walking (because jogging is too exhausting!) for at least 15-30 minutes every morning inside the subdivision. So I did, for a few times. But I really don't like being out in the sun so much and feel conspicuous (read: stupid) wearing shades and earplugs while walking on a brisk pace around the neighborhood in my running shoes... with an umbrella on one hand! But the main reason really was, I'm not an early riser. So I had to pass this one too.
3. Buy Your Own Fitness Equipments
Hmmn... since time was the major element of constraint for my daily exercises, I bought my own equipments so I could use it on my free time. I first Googled the best sport stores, of course in my location, and compared prices. I came across Chris Sports House that said to offer fitness equipments at reasonable prices. I called their listed number to inquire and they were really pleasant and eager to entertain customer's queries. So, I went to their shop in Megamall and bought a hydraulic stationary bike with resistance control and a reader for the heart rate, distance, speed and caloric expenditure for only P6,000 plus! Then I thought the purple dumbbells (I wonder why these weights are called dumb) were cute so I bought a pair of the lightest at .5 lbs. and also a new bathroom scale to replace the old one that seems to give out a "plateau" weight measurement. Chris Sports House delivered my equipments right on schedule with a very minimal charge of P300 only! I rode it like the first time I had a bike ... everyday, straight for 2 weeks! I started at 15 minutes per session then extended it up to an hour, alternately cycling in sitting and standing positions! Then, like my old bike, I parked it somewhere out of sight.
4. Indoor Sports
I was never the athletic type but I was a cheerleader back in High School, if that is any consolation. But I heard Jim Saret's statement that he believes everyone is an athlete inside (or something to that effect...) so I thought he may have a point, there could be an athlete in me wanting to come out hmmn... but still, I don't think now is the right time to start contact sports so I opted to pick up on my ten-pin bowling (which I am also not very good at but I once scored a turkey, probably by pure luck!). I use the 7 or 8 pound ball which I think is heavy enough to keep it on the lane and not fall off the gutter. My rolling is a little too lame that I always wonder if  the ball would actually reach the pins as I release it. I enjoy this sport very much (although I rarely win) because for one, you play it in an air conditioned area and secondly, it also burns calories fast. Problem is, my friends don't and I won't dare play alone (hello!). So, I only bowl if I can trick one of them to play a game or two with me after shopping and dining in Sta. Lucia or Mega Mall  hehe. The bowling alleys at these malls are pretty good, it's also fully automated and with computerized scoring system.
-->


5. Diet
I lost some weight by doing all of the above but it's very far from my goal. So, I went back to my old reliable slimming tactic, I crashed! For 4 weeks, it was a once a day full meal diet and water therapy for me (I think I drank more than a gallon of water everyday).
Breakfast - my usual 2 cups of coffee, food supplements and lots of water.
Snack time around 10-11 AM - Yogurt with lots of water.
Lunch - 3 pieces of Sky Flakes Crackers with lots of water.
Snack time around 3 PM - Coffee and lots of water.
Dinner around 6-7 PM - Full meal, normally protein rich food with 1 cup rice and lots of water.
X - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - X
Nothing follows after dinner 'till bed time, except coffee and water. If you think it's odd that I take my full meal during night time and not in the morning, well it's because I sleep really late at night (actually early dawn) and is very active writing, researching or reading the whole time so I will need the energy the food brings :) 

I now lost considerable weight along with the ugly celluliti! I'm back to normal high protein and low carb diet including my regular intake of food supplements and lots of water (and coffee of course). What I need to do next is to tone the muscles to get a good form. So, I'm incorporating daily light exercises of 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats, 10 lunges and 10 push ups with my regular diet. Yes, as advised on TV by the Pinoy Biggest Loser trainer, Jim Saret.
Gosh, I'm such a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment