Search and You Shall Find

Custom Search

Add to G+ Circle

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review : Rating the IMAX 3D Theater in SM North EDSA

Going to see a movie or skiing? 3D glasses looked more like goggles!
I had a real good time last Saturday and as promised on my most recent blog, I will post my review for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 this week.

Preparing for my weekend activity proved to be a good decision although some things don't really go as planned. Nevertheless, the day lived up to my expectation of one, enjoyable movie weekend treat! It was so good and full of fun that I have to make my review in 3 parts covering 3 different subjects or this blog entry would be classified as a novela!



First, my rating for the IMAX 3D Movie Theater at SM North EDSA.


In a scale of 1-5 Stars

5 Stars - Woohoo! :))

4 Stars - Yay! :)

3 Stars - So, So... :(

2 Stars - Ugh! :((

1 Star - Eeewww! :P


E-Ticketing Rating: 5 Stars Woohoo! :))

SM Cinemas' E-ticketing System is very convenient. All you have to do is register at their website to choose your movie, the schedule, the type of cinema, the branch, the mode of payment and your seat number!

They have 4 types of theaters to choose from:

1. Ordinary (this is the usual movie theater, we're all used to) - the price ranges from P160 -P185 in Metro Manila and P110-P180 in the provinces.

2. Digital 2D Theaters - Price fixed at P250, available in Davao City and Bacolod City.

3. Digital 3D Theaters - Price is P250 in some provinces and P350 in Metro Manila.

4. IMAX 3D Theaters - They have 4 IMAX 3D Theaters, 3 in Metro Manila and 1 in Cebu City. Price is fixed at P450.

If you think you have no choice but to fall in line to watch your to-die-for box office movie hit, now you have a better alternative by booking your tickets online! It's fast and easy!


The Red Boxes are seats taken, the Yellow are reserved seats, they also have Green boxes at the farther bottom portion from the theater screen reserved for SM, (not shown in this screen shot) which could be complimentary seats and the Blue boxes are my reserved seats. I chose K26 and K27 because the seats are still in the middle although this would not matter so much when watching an IMAX Movie because it creates a vision that centers on each viewer, peripheral vision would not be necessary. There is a convenience charge or service charge of P20 for each ticket, which I think is a reasonable price to pay than falling in line!


Next, you will be shown the breakdown of details of your booking and will be asked for the preferred mode of payment. They have 3 payment options, the Globe GCash, Credit Card or the Smart Money. If you use your credit card like I did, make sure to pay for it immediately in cash when you have the time; don't wait 'till your next credit card billing statement so as to avoid accruing interest rate of 3.5% (prorate) which is not very wise! You also have an option to receive your e-ticket (BCode) on your mobile phone which you are supposed to scan at the BCode machines at the cinema lobby. However, our sms message with the BCode as well as the printed out email confirmation were not scanned. We just fell in line along with the others who bought their tickets there and were ushered in. Hmmnn... I wonder if they're using another system of checking aside from the scanners or was it overlooked?


Then you will receive a confirmation that the tickets had been purchased. You will also receive an online receipt via email with the official receipt number and all the details of the purchase including the BCode for scanning in case you erased your SMS confirmation. You may print out and bring the email confirmation with you. I brought a copy with me, but again it was not scanned nor requested to be presented at the entrance.




Lounging Room Rating: 4 Stars Yay! :)

As planned (by me, due to ulterior motive hehe), my BFF and I came earlier at around 12:30 PM for the photo shoot, however, I purposefully did not bring a camera with me so it would not appear as premeditated, we can use our mobile phones anyway! The "unsuspecting official photog" was really uptight in taking pictures because she thought it to be "jologs" (colloquial for poor taste, with no class). I knew this was going to be a problem, knowing very well my prim and proper friend, but a true friend that she was, she succumbed at last to my puppy-eyed begging (Read: pesky badgering) and got the hang of it. In fact, I think she quite enjoyed taking pictures and posing herself, as well haha!

Look at her first shot taken in haste and shame, it was blurred and really out of focus.. grrr! Too bad because I think I made a good striking pose, which was actually the cause for her shame! Me and my BFF are total opposites and I sometimes shock her with my crazy antics but we get along really well. After the shot, the model begged the photographer to allow her to love the camera, oh please! I told her she needs to be a good friend and support me with my blogging. I even chided her that I know she never reads it, but I won't take offense if she would just take take my pics, puhleaaase! Hehe, it worked! No need for blackmail or threats, LOL!

Oh, bad shot! One more please!
My plan to come early for the photo shoot worked well in my favor! The SM North EDSA IMAX 3D Theater has a separate lounging area with its own glass door entrance manned by its own security. There are 3 sets of big couches, with no back rests and center tables (I think the management doesn't want us to be too comfortable, LOL!). One set has an LCD TV for movie trailers. The floor area is carpeted, wall-to-wall. It also has a snack bar with tall dining tables and no chairs, designed for stand-up eating. I wouldn't have taken Yellow Cab's Eat All You Can Pizza in the given dining set up, even if still available, because I will surely not enjoy eating standing up! The lighting effect of the room was dim and cozy and there were also lighted poster areas, good for taking pictures. All in all, the lounge area's design was cool.. The 11:30 AM screening was still ongoing when we arrived so we had a chance to shoot in the area all by ourselves!

My Best Friend Forever!!!
Hermione Hehehe!

1 1/2 Hrs Before the 2:30 PM Screening
15 minutes before the 2:30 PM Screening

We had a lot more time in our hands after the picture taking, so we decided to grab a quick snack first of Siopao and Siomai (Pork filled steamed buns and pork dumplings with chili garlic sauce) at Hen Lin's. We went back fifteen minutes before our scheduled screening time and was surprised to see a full packed lounge with diners!




FACILITIES: 

Ladies Room Rating: 1 Star Eeeew :P

We regret not visiting the ladies room earlier because at around 10 minutes before the show starts, the cubicles looked more like ticketing booths due to long lines of ladies waiting for their turns. But the worst part really was, each out going user was apologetic to the next because there was no flush! Eeeew! As we were on our way to find another comfort room on the floor, I saw a maintenance lady and told her about the situation but she just shrugged it off by saying "Mahina po talaga ang tubig sa floor na 'to, ma'am." (The water pressure is really low on this floor, ma'am.). The management should take this problem seriously and find a solution. Never mind that there was also no provision of liquid soap, just make sure that there is enough water pressure to allow flushing! The customers deserve hygienic comfort rooms.

Theater Rating: 3 Stars So, So... :(

The theater was not as big as I imagined it to be, but you see I really have a big imagination. Nothing great and extraordinary, just a normal looking movie theater. What I really didn't like about it was the pacing of the seat rows. It was too close to the next that a big man passing by to go over his assigned seat tripped and almost toppled over me! Geez! My legs also felt a little cramped during the movie that I wanted to stand up and stretch. I refrained from doing so because I glanced at the big man and I thought he could be in a much worse situation but looked composed... hmnnn a virtuous man, very patient... hehe. By the way, the chair's design was also not very comfortable, I found myself twisting and looking for better positions.

I was wearing a jacket but I took it off after sometime because the A/C was not really very cool, but in fairness, the temp was generally okay without a coat on. However, I would say that the Robinson's Movieworld in Galleria was a lot better in terms of comfort and cleanliness, especially the rest rooms and air conditioning.



3D Glasses Rating: 2 Stars Ugh! :((
SM's 3D Goggles!

The pile of 3D glasses were in a rack and distributed to the viewers as they enter the theater in single file. There was a note that said the 3D glasses were sanitized, which was a good assurance because nobody would like to go home with sore eyes! The usher and usherettes kept on reminding each viewer as they hand the 3D glasses that it must be returned after the movie. It came across as an over kill because they kept on saying it over and over each time they hand it out when everyone already heard it for the nth time, they should have just worn a sign. But I thought it could be that they have lost some, charged to them, which was why they were so vigilant.

The most annoying part however was the 3D glasses itself! It's so big it looked more like ski goggles! The nose bridge were too wide it kept sliding down my nose that I had to support it with my hand the whole time I was watching the movie! Ugh! I took it off to check if BFF was having the same trouble and yes she was pressing it to her face too. I investigated further and saw two children on the front row with their mom doing the same thing! So I confirmed that the problem was not my small nose after all! The 3D glasses' nose bridge should be narrower or adjustable for a good comfortable fit for everyone, male, female or child especially those with flat noses (mine is not really flat, it's just small hehe).

IMAX 3D Technology Rating: 5 Stars Woohoo! :))

The visual impact is superb! The sound is engulfing! The sensory systems are synthesized and stimulated giving one an illusion of being in the scene ... feeling, touching, and even smelling and tasting the film! It is recommendable to have your children experience this technology. It will be a joy to watch them be mesmerized. There was an ash fall scene in the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 where I saw the two children in front of me both raised their hands to catch the falling ashes, It was magical! Good thing I stopped myself from doing the same! Hmmp! At my age it wouldn't look magical but stupid!

All in all, the movie was so good that nothing could really put me in a bad mood. Everything else was just taken in stride.

Next stop: Tres Restaurant for early dinner. Read HERE my separate review for this great find! :)

1 comment:

  1. News4andhra is a Entertainment portal provides you information about Tollywood News, Telugu Politics News, Celebrity news, cinema news, box office collections,  Telugu Movie Reviews and more at one place
    Get Latest Telugu Movie Reviews

    ReplyDelete